Saturday, September 25, 2010

Couponing, let's get it on!

So a few weeks ago I posted how I needed to learn how to coupon.  A few acquaintances, some friends, and some family put in their 2 cents and I did some of my own research to finally feel comfortable enough to put some of it into action.  But before I get into the actual happenings of my first adventure couponing, let me fill you in on our family grocery budget.

These are the things I consider "groceries":

  • all food
  • all cleaning products
  • all baby products
  • all pet products
  • all cooking products
  • all personal care products
  • basically anything you can get at Publix
Our grocery bill was averaging around $150 a week, not too bad for 5 people, about $4.25 a day per person.  But others I have talked to are saying their grocery bills are tiny, like teeny weeny, itty bitty tiny.  Like having over a hundred dollars worth of groceries and only paying $30ish. THAT'S NUTS!  So I heard enough of these stories to get me interested, if they can, I can.  And besides all that, we have to find a way to get our budget under control or I'm gonna have to start looking for a job (and nobody wants that!).

So my first adventure started at Kroger, they usually have low prices and they have these 10/$10 deals on all sorts of items.  So I went in with no coupons hoping to find something and I did.  There was a automatic coupon machine, that is known as a "blinkie" in the couponing world, giving out 55cent coupons for Dannon Greek yogur,t so I grabbed one.  I went over to where the yogurt is and guess what?!? the same yogurt was on manager's special for 69cents! So I end up getting this rather tasty yogurt for only 14cents!!  And this is the beauty of couponing!  You use the coupons in conjunction with other sales going on at the stores, plus any store coupons going on at the same time to get items for more than half off the regular price!  Of course it is more involved than walking in on a deal, there is a lot of planning and foresight and stocking up but for the first time out, I was quite impressed.  Overall on that trip, with other coupons and getting some items for great prices (like solid Albacore tuna regularly $1.79 for $1) I saved over $16.  Not too shabby for my first time around.  

So I clipped out all my coupons today, organized them, and now I need to make a list of everything I need (or will need), check it against what's on sale and what coupons I have, and GO!  Hopefully, I can start saving some serious cash!

No comments:

Post a Comment