Tuesday, March 25, 2014

hashtag NoAlarmLife

So, yeah...maybe I'm not good at the whole blogging thing.  I believe bloggers are supposed to post every few days, not every few years.  Oh well...just another thing to add to my Yeah-I'll-get-to-it list.  Since anyone who would be likely to read this is friends with me on Facebook, I'll skip the 2 year recap and just get right to the point...

As known by anyone who reads my Facebook posts, we (cough cough...I ) began homeschooling our older two kids in January.  This was done out of necessity since the public school the kids are in district for is absolute crap but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that this was something I've been wanting to do for a while.  Sure, I don't care for the strict design of Common Core, the bad attitudes the kids picked up from classmates,  or the silly things they would get in trouble for (talking during lunch!).  But my driving force for wanting to homeschool was my desire for time.  Time was missing with their bus arriving to pick them up at 6:57am and dropping them off at 3:00pm.  Time was missing in the 4 1/2 hours between bus drop off and bed time to fit in homework, playing with friends, chores, dinner, family time, bath, and bed. There was no time to enjoy my kids when we were all constantly tired.  With our new lifestyle, we still hold to bed times even if they are a bit later than the previous 7:30pm, but the kids can wake up naturally (no alarms!) and no one is rushed to shove down breakfast, get dressed, and run out the door!  Now our day can progress at a comfortable pace, allowing plenty of time for meals, school, chores, naps, play (lots of play), exploration, and learning.

My biggest struggle is trying to figure out how to homeschool this semester.  There are so many methods and opinions and curriculum and, not unlike the Marvel Universe, it is way bigger than any passer-by is aware.  Ideally, I would follow the more laid back approach, not forcing concepts before my child is ready but keeping the basics thoroughly covered.  Nothing as strict as the Well Trained mind, but nothing as independent as Unschooling.  (No offense intended to either style. I have friends in both camps and appreciate that both only want the best for their children!)   There would be days when only one or two subjects are covered and other days where we hit every topic.  We wouldn't stress over meeting every requirement in phonics or math on a set timed schedule, but take our time until the concept is truly grasped.  Unfortunately, that is a luxury only afforded to those who know they will be homeschooling for the duration of their child's education.  It used to be that a child could be dropped in to public school after being homeschooled for a number of years and just keep going, probably ahead of the majority of his peers.  With all the new rules and Common Core and topics that have to be learned in a certain way, in a specific order, dropping a child in to that environment is equivalent to educational suicide.  If a 1st grade homeschooler doesn't learn how to break apart and diagram a word into its syllables and accent marks, she will be behind her classmates if put in to a public school for 2nd grade.  No matter her reading level, no matter her vocabulary or spelling ability, she will be behind.  While I understand and believe in the importance of learning these phonics rules, trying to make sure that every topic is covered on time and accurately, takes away all the freedom of homeschooling.

And there is my problem, I don't know how long this wonderful, amazing, and special NoAlarmLife will be around.  We are on borrowed time here at Team Schultz.  Mike would prefer the kids be in the classroom and the kids have been registered for the local Charter School for next school year.  We've received a letter to attend a Kindergarten open house for Taegan and I've been told through rumors that once one kid is accepted in to the charter, the rest will surely follow.  Unless there is an unexpected circumstance around the corner, this venture will end before it has a chance to begin.  But if by chance we can continue, I'll give myself and the kids the grace to learn, investigate, and explore the world at our preferred leisurely pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment